This week I have been finishing the internal structure for Lolong’s enormous body. I had to cut the life-size template into two pieces so that he could comfortably fit in the studio space!
The next step is to add cloth around the internal structure to provide more support for the papier-mache surface that is to come. I have been researching different types of papier-mache, so I will be experimenting with different formulas during this initial stage of building/research. I had assumed I would be using Elmer’s glue thinned with water, which is what I remember from elementary school, but there are many more variations, all to be found on the internet, of course. I want to make sure that Lolong is very sturdy and am considering making him weather-proof, so that I would have the option of exhibiting him outside.
I also decided this week that I will be adding a life-size painting of Lolong to the project. I realized this week as I looked through the pictures I have found of Lolong, that there are none in which he is in his natural environment. In all the pictures I have found, he is either bound by ropes and tape, or he is shown as a captive animal in his ‘cement pond’ at the Eco-Park. I think it is important to this project that he be shown in the Agusan Marsh, surrounded by the creatures of the air and water, and comfortably situated. I have ordered a very large canvas and will post pictures of the painting as it develops.
For now, I have pictures of Lolong’s inside structure in a more finished state, and a picture of three of the four-leggers that will serve as Lolong’s companions–they are not yet fired, but I thought they shared a nice camaraderie…