Well, this week I jumped right in and started to work on the composition for the large painting. It was very satisfying, although I had to make an eraser run after I discovered that the only eraser I had in the studio was on the end of a small pencil. Once I had the ability to undo easily, it was fun to climb on the ladder, throw a few lines here and there, and then move to another spot. I have identified most of the fish and birds that will be a part of the painting. I was a little bummed out when I found out that the great looking soft shell turtles I had been seeing in pictures are actually not native to the Philippines and are considered invasive…I might leave them in anyway, since they are already there.
I also started paper mache experiments with Lolong, and am pretty happy so far with the Elmer’s glue/water and newsprint paper. It was as messy as I imagined it would be, and I’m glad I checked my look in the mirror before I left the studio Saturday, since I had a big piece of newspaper glued firmly to my rear end!
I am expecting 27 four-leggers out of the kiln this week, and am hoping to start getting some help with production on this part of the project…more on this soon.